Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Belly Buttons Gross Me Out

Ugly. Just plain ugly. That's the best way to describe belly buttons. And, great abs aside, putting a little silver bauble through your belly button doesn't make that umbilical cord scar attractive. It just puts the pretty little silver bauble on an ugly display. Part of my disgust of belly buttons extends beyond the visual to friends and acquaintances who spend an inordinate amount of time contemplating their own belly buttons. You know the type -- "it's all about me." Their mantra always boils down to: "What about me? What about me? What about me?"

Boomers who became parents (mothers especially) graduated the "it's about me" stage and matriculated into discussions about baby food, soccer games and pre-school or home school. At a recent Cub Scout meeting, I was talking with another grandparent who was disgusted that his daughter isn't involved in her son's life. Her excuse: She works, after all. Yeah, don't we all.
Why is that a 60-hour work week is easier if you're a Boomer than it is if you're in your 30s? He and I were talking how we always made time for our kids and made them the priority. Perhaps we focused too much on them and now they feel entitled to be the priority still.

The point is that whether the belly button is plain, dressed up with piercings, or the object of one's meditation, it's just plain ugly.

1 comment:

Peebie said...

Oh, I'm so glad I had my belly button removed! Ugly as it was.